Unleavened Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Fudge Frosting
A two-layer chocolate cake with a rich fudge frosting!
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups flour
1 cup cocoa powder
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 cups white sugar
1 cup cocoa powder
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1. To make the cake, cream the sugar, butter, and eggs with an electric mixer on high until well-beaten.
Stir in flour, cocoa powder, and vanilla. Batter will be thick, like brownie batter.
2. Grease and flour a 10x15-inch jelly roll pan (baking pan with 1-inch sides). You could use two 8- or 9-inch cake pans instead, if you wished. Spread batter evenly into pan. Bake at 350 degrees for about 25 minutes, or just until cake tests done with a toothpick or fork.
3. Place cake (in the pan) on a cooling rack, cover with a clean towel, and allow to cool completely.
4. Cut cake in half, trimming sides if necessary, so that the two pieces can be stacked on a serving tray or platter.
5. Make frosting by combining frosting ingredients in a sauce pan and heating over medium heat, stirring constantly. Bring mixture to a boil and then boil and stir for 1 minute. Remove pan from heat and allow to cool for about 5 minutes.
6. Using an electric mixer, beat frosting on high until it starts to thicken to a frosting consistency. The frosting will continue to thicken as it continues to cool, so don't beat it too long.
7. Once it is spreadable, spread half of the frosting over the first layer of the cooled cake, working quickly. Place the second piece of cake on top and insert a few toothpicks if desired, to keep the cake layers from shifting. Finish frosting the cake.
This is a somewhat dry cake, and very chocolatey! The fudge frosting is the BEST -- very very yummy!! :) Cake rating - 5. Chocolate cake with leaven is a whole lot better. ;) Frosting rating: 10!