My Mom's Mulberry Pie
A sweet fruity pie made with mulberries and a little lemon
3 quarts (12 cups) ripe mulberries, washed and drained
1 cup sugar
1 large lemon
1 cup water
1/3 cup clear gel/Sure Jel
1/2 cup cold water
Pie crust (unbaked) -- we use this foolproof pie crust recipe
1. Wash the lemon (but don't peel), and thinly slice it. Remove seeds and chop.
2. Put mulberries in a large stock pot. Add 1 cup sugar and a dash of salt. Add the chopped lemon and one cup of water. Heat to boiling.
3. Dissolve 1/3 cup clear gel in 1/2 cup cold water and add to boiling mixture, stirring constantly. Bring to a boil and remove from heat.
4. Line pie dishes with pie crust. Pour in pie filling. Place top crust on pies (be sure to have some holes in the top crust for steam to escape!), sealing edges with a little water before fluting. Sprinkle tops with sugar if desired.
5. Bake pies at 400 degrees for about 30 minutes, until crust is browned.
This is a recipe for mulberry pie created by my mom, Linda.
The lemon adds some tartness to balance out the sweet mulberries. We always use mulberries that are black -- completely ripe.
This pie is not too sweet, very tasty, and if you have a mulberry tree/bush nearby, the fruit is free! :)