Smooth tomato soup with subtle flavors of onion and celery, slightly sweet
10 quarts OR less (see additional notes)
1/2 bushel tomatoes (or, use whatever tomatoes you have and adjust the spices/seasonings accordingly!)
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 tablespoons non-iodized salt/pickling salt
4 teaspoons celery salt
4 teaspoons onion salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1 lb butter (4 sticks/2 cups)
2 cups flour
1. Make tomatoes into juice. (You can do this by cooking down the washed/halved tomatoes for at least an hour and then running through a colander or juicer/squeezer; you can also pour boiling water over tomatoes and peel, and then cook down; or, you can run cooked tomatoes through a blender until liquefied.)
2. In a large pan, heat juice and add sugar, salt, pepper, and celery and onion salt.
3. In a separate pan, melt butter. Add flour, stirring to make a paste. Slowly add soup and continue stirring, to avoid lumps. When about 3 quarts of soup has been added, you can put the whole mixture in with the rest of the tomato juice and stir.
4. Bring complete mixture to a full boil while stirring and boil for a couple minutes.
5. If canning, fill jars and process for 30 minutes in boiling water bath.
6. Optional: When serving, add milk to taste. Serve fresh as soup, or mix with homemade pizza sauce to make a delicious spaghetti sauce!
Want to make a small batch of tomato soup for fresh eating? Here's how:
1. Process your tomatoes as described in step 1 above.
2. Add seasonings to taste.
3. Determine how much juice you have to decide how much butter and flour to use. (For example, if you have 1 quart of juice, you will want to use about 3 T butter and 1/5 c flour.) Follow steps 3 and 4 above.
4. Serve fresh as soup, or mix with homemade pizza sauce to make a delicious spaghetti sauce!
This is a delicious homemade tomato soup. I like it as a main dish (sometimes with leftover meatloaf added to it), but where I really use it is in my spaghetti and meatballs. We have found that plain pizza sauce is too thick and strong with our spaghetti and meatballs. Mixing 1/2 tomato soup and 1/2 pizza sauce provides the perfect balance of flavors. I love this recipe! My rating: 10/10
|Average vote based on 10 reviews.|