A flavorful spicy chicken and bell pepper saute, layered on a flour tortilla between salsa rice, cheese, sour cream, and diced tomatoes
2 large boneless skinless chicken breasts
Tapatio hot sauce
ground black pepper
hickory smoke salt
1/2 cup (uncooked) rice
2 Tablespoons homemade salsa
2 Tablespoons oil
1 green bell pepper, sliced
1 red bell pepper, sliced
1 yellow bell pepper, sliced
2 onions, sliced
1 clove garlic, minced
4 splashes of Tapatio hot sauce
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon chili powder
4 cranks of black pepper
a pinch of cayenne pepper
seasoned salt, to taste
shredded cheddar cheese
diced tomatoes or additional salsa
fajita-size flour tortillas
1. Rinse chicken breasts and season with first nine ingredients. Grill until nearly fully cooked. Check grill instructions; cooking time will vary according to size of meat and grill. Our Weber Q grill takes about 8-12 minutes on medium over direct heat for large chicken breasts.
2. Slice grilled chicken thinly; set aside.
3. Cook 1/2 c rice according to package instructions. When fully cooked, add 2 Tablespoons salsa and stir. Set aside.
4. Heat flour tortillas wrapped in foil in oven set to a low temperature (or according to wrapper instructions).
5. In large skillet, heat 2 Tablespoons oil over medium heat. Fry peppers, onions, and garlic until they are crisp-tender.
6. Add chicken slices to skillet. Add additional seasonings (Tapatio, paprika, chili powder, black pepper, cayenne pepper, and seasoned salt) and finish cooking. Chicken should be fully cooked. Vegetables should be tender but not mushy.
7. Assemble fajitas by placing a small layer of rice on the tortilla. Add chicken/pepper mixture, shredded cheese, sour cream, and additional salsa or fresh diced tomatoes.
Fajita meat can be cooked on the stove top rather than being grilled if you wish. I just slice the (raw) chicken as thin as possible, and saute with the seasonings. Set aside and continue with the rest of the recipe.
These fajitas are delicious!! They are really worth the little extra effort required. Besides being so beautiful, they are full of flavor and fun to eat. These are the best fajitas I've ever had. Whenever we make them, it's a real treat! My rating: 10/10
|Average vote based on 1 review.|