Easy Tuna Noodle Casserole
A simple cheesy from-scratch tuna noodle casserole!
8 ounces pasta or 12 ounces egg noodles
2 6-ounce cans of tuna, drained
1 onion, chopped
3 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 cups milk
1 teaspoon salt
dash of pepper
1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
1 1/2 to 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1. In a large stock pot, cook the pasta or egg noodles according to package instructions. Drain pasta in a strainer.
2. In the now-empty stock pot, melt the butter. Add onions and saute until onions are tender. Stir in flour to make a thick paste. Add milk, salt, and pepper. Cook and stir until bubbly and slightly thickened. Remove from heat.
3. Add cooked pasta and drained tuna to sauce, stirring to coat. Stir in mozzarella cheese.
4. Pour into a lightly greased 9x13-inch baking dish. Top with shredded cheddar cheese.
5. Bake uncovered at 350 degrees. Bake for 20 minutes or until cheese is bubbly.
This casserole can be made ahead and refrigerated until ready to bake. If baking after refrigeration, place cold dish in oven before pre-heating oven. Bake for 35-40 minutes at 350 degrees or until casserole is hot and cheese is bubbly!
30 minutes (pasta) + 20 minutes (baking)
I love pasta, cheese and tuna! This casserole is creamy, flavorful, cheesy, and EASY! I almost always have these ingredients on hand, so when there's nothing quick to make for dinner, this is a delicious option! :)
Joshua, who doesn't usually care much for tuna noodle casseroles, says this one "is pretty good". :)