A delicious homemade cream soup with broccoli and chicken
2 cups chopped broccoli
1 cup cooked cubed chicken
1 batch of Tammy's Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup *
shredded cheddar cheese, for serving
1. Steam broccoli until just tender.
2. Heat the cream of chicken soup and then add broccoli and chicken. Top with cheddar cheese before serving.
This recipe and photo were submitted by guest chef Ruth Visser. She writes, "A good, hearty soup for those cold winter days"!
* Here is the cream of chicken soup recipe (photo located on this page). This soup can be used in any recipe calling for canned cream of chicken soup.
Homemade Cream of Chicken Soup
1 1/2 cups chicken broth*
1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
1/4 teaspoon onion powder**
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder***
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt (or less; taste to test)
1/4 teaspoon parsley
dash of paprika
1 1/2 cups milk
3/4 cup flour
1. In medium-sized saucepan, boil chicken broth, 1/2 cup of the milk, and the seasonings for a minute or two (longer if using fresh onions or garlic).
2. In a bowl, whisk together the remaining 1 cup of milk and flour. Add to boiling mixture and continue whisking briskly until mixture boils and thickens.
*I use the broth from my oven-roasted chicken. Refrigerate broth and then take fat off the top. If you're using chicken bouillon + water for your broth, you may want to add a little extra seasonings, such as lemon pepper, extra garlic, or seasoned salt, since my broth normally has bits of those in it. You can also add bits of chicken, but if you have good rich chicken broth, you probably won't need any chicken in it.
**Or, diced onions (boil with broth for a few minutes)
***Or, fresh minced garlic (boil with broth for a few minutes)
10 minutes (not including condensed cream of chicken soup)
|Average vote based on 3 reviews.|