Soft and spicy pumpkin cupcakes with a fluffy homemade cream filling
1 3/4 dozen cupcakes
2 cups sugar
3/4 cup oil
15 ounce can of solid-pack pumpkin*
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 Tablespoon cornstarch
1 cup milk
1/2 cup shortening**
1/4 cup butter, softened***
2 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. To make cupcakes, combine eggs, sugar, oil, and pumpkin in a mixing bowl and stir well. In another bowl, combine dry cupcake ingredients and then add to pumpkin mixture, mixing well.
2. Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 350 degrees for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick or fork inserted near center comes out clean. Cool in pans for 10 minutes and then remove to wire racks to cool completely.
3. To make cream filling, whisk together the cornstarch and milk in a saucepan until smooth. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, and boil for a minute or until mixture thickens slightly. Cool to room temperature.
4. In mixing bowl, cream shortening, butter, powdered sugar, and vanilla. Gradually add room-temperature shortening mixture, beating until light and fluffy.
5. Using a sharp knife, cut a 1-inch diameter cone shape out of the top of each cupcake. Carefully remove tops and set aside. Spoon filling into cupcakes and replace tops.
*I use home-canned pumpkin, and substitute a pint (16 ounces).
**To achieve the nicest, fluffiest cream filling, shortening must be used. I don't keep shortening on hand, and I have substituted butter for the shortening with okay results (not the best). When using all butter instead of shortening, you will need to at least double the powdered sugar in order for it to be thick enough. Then you will have leftover frosting.
***Use real butter, no substitutes, and be sure your butter is softened: not melted, not cold, but softened. This cream filling recipe needs to be followed exactly for good results!!
These cream-filled cupcakes are the best way to use pumpkin. They are fairly easy to make, and taste so delicious!! The cream filling tastes like a Twinkie filling! :) The cupcake is soft, moist, and seasoned just right with cinnamon. Oh, so yummy!! People go wild over these cupcakes, and with the fancy tops, they look cute, too! My rating: 10/10
|Average vote based on 3 reviews.|