Baked seasoned chicken breast topped with squash and spinach, layered with cheese and broiled
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, each cut into about 4 strips (about 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 pounds)
Lemon pepper seasoning
10 cups yellow squash, washed and sliced 1/4-inch thick (cut large slices in half as well)
6 ounces fresh spinach leaves, coarsely chopped
3 tablespoons butter
4 ounces sliced Muenster cheese (can also use provolone or baby swiss, or even mozzarella)
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease a 9 x 13-inch baking dish and place chicken inside. Sprinkle chicken with garlic salt and lemon pepper; turn chicken over and sprinkle other side with seasonings also. Cover dish with foil and bake for 60 minutes or until chicken is fully cooked.
2. After about 30 minutes of baking time has passed, heat 2 tablespoons butter in a large stock pot. Saute squash in butter until tender.
3. Add remaining tablespoon of butter to the pot, and add spinach leaves. Cook and stir just until spinach is wilted. Remove from heat and toss with just a little salt.
4. Take the dish of chicken from the oven, uncover, and spoon the squash mixture over the chicken. Place slices of cheese on top, enough to make a thin layer over the vegetables.
5. Broil (uncovered) for about 5 minutes until cheese is melted and bubbly.
If you have a grill, this recipe is even yummier (and faster) made with grilled chicken breast!
Saute the veggies, grill the chicken, and assemble in a greased baking dish as described in step 4 above. If the chicken and veggies are hot off the grill/stovetop, just broil as instructed. If veggies or meat have cooled slightly, bake at 450 degrees until bubbly (about 10 minutes), and then broil until top is browned. :)
This is a delicious main dish featuring lots of vegetables! Amazingly, the flavors complement each other very well, making this one of my favorite ways to eat squash! It's also a very healthy dish, and a great low-carb recipe. My rating: 10/10.
|Average vote based on 10 reviews.|