Chewy snack bars bursting with granola and coconut
3 cups granola
1 cup crisp rice cereal
1 cup coconut, shredded unsweetened
3/4 stick butter (6 T)
7 oz marshmellow cream
1/4 cup honey *
Chocolate chips, Raisins, Almonds, etc
1. In a large sauce pan melt butter over low heat. (Optional: add honey). While the butter is melting add the granola, crisp rice cereal, and coconut (also optional raisins, nuts, etc... but not chocolate chips) in a large bowl and mix.
2. Lightly grease a 13x9 pan.
3. After butter has melted add marshmallow cream. Stir occassionaly until cream has melted and mixture is combined.
4. Slowly raise the temperature until mixture begins to slightly boil ** (this will vary depending on the size and material of the sauce pan; our stove needs to be right below medium) -- remember to continue stirring!
5. Once it has started to boil continue to stir for 1 minute.
6. Remove from heat and immediately add the granola mixture. Stir until the cereal is evenly coated.
7. Dump mixture into the 13x9 pan and spread it out in the pan. (Optional: Sprinkle chocolate chips *** across the loose mixture). Press the mixture down flat creating making it level. Allow to cool.
8. You may wish to cut your bars before the dish completely cools.
* Honey will make the recipe slightly sweeter and even more chewy.
** For a firmer granola bar boil the marshmallow cream a little longer. Just be mindful that it needs to be stirred continuously and not to scorch the bottom with too high of a heat.
*** An alternative for the chocolate chips is to sprinkle them on the flattened mixture and allowing them to melt. After melted spread across the granola.
Joshua created this recipe after we had been discussing the chewy store-bought granola bars and wanting to make some that were softer than my energy bar recipe. He came up with this, and we really like them! I could snack on them all day! :) Rated: 10/10
|Average vote based on 2 reviews.|