Caramel Apple Pie
Slices of apples surrounded with a delicious vanilla-cinnamon caramel, baked between layers of flakey homemade pie crust
6 cups peeled, cored, and thinly sliced cooking apples
1 tablespoon lemon juice (use less if your apples are very tart!)
1/2 cup (packed) brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1/4 cup flour
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
1/4 cup butter
1. Toss apples with the lemon juice.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the sugars, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Add apples and toss to coat. Stir in the vanilla and heavy cream.
3. In a large skillet or heavy stock pot, melt butter. Add apple mixture and cook over medium to medium-high heat for 6-8 minutes, stirring constantly, until apples soften.
4. Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees. Line a 10-inch pie dish with pastry; pour in apple mixture. Place top crust, sealing the edges with water (between the crusts) and pinching. Be sure to have air holes in the top of the crust. (I cut vents while the crust is still on the counter, before placing crust over the filling.)
5. Bake at 450 degrees for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake for 35-45 more minutes. If your pie dish is fairly deep, it should not run over, as long as you have sufficiently sealed the edges. If you want to be sure your oven stays clean, I recommend putting an old cookie sheet on a shelf below the pie, to catch any drips. :)
6. Cool pie before serving. (The piece shown in the photo had been refrigerated. The pie is slightly more runny at room temperature!)
*I use my foolproof pie crust recipe, and a single recipe of that makes enough crust for two of these 10-inch pies, including top crusts for both. If you only wish to make one of these pies, you can freeze the extra pie crust dough for later use, or, save it in the refrigerator for a few days and use for another kind of pie.
This is a delicious apple pie with a caramel flavor and texture! It is not gooey and stringy like you might imagine caramel candy being, but it is thick and has a great caramel flavor. :) My rating: 9/10. It's very good... but I think I still like traditional apple pie the BEST! :)