Best Chicken Pot Pie
A flavorful homemade chicken and vegetable pot pie with a flaky cream cheese-celery seed crust
1 Tablespoon butter
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup diced onion
2/3 cup sliced or diced carrots
1 teaspoon salt (or more, depending on taste)
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
2/3 cup frozen peas
2/3 cup frozen corn
2/3 cups milk
1/2 cup flour
2 cups cubed cooked chicken
Crust Pastry Ingredients:
1 2/3 cups flour
2 teaspoons celery seed
8 ounces cream cheese, cubed
1/3 cup butter
1. In saucepan on stove top, combine butter, garlic, onion, carrots, salt, pepper, and chicken broth. Bring to a boil and simmer until carrots are tender.
2. While initial mixture is cooking, combine pastry ingredients, kneading until thoroughly mixed. (I use my hands for this sometimes.) Wrap in plastic wrap and chill.
3. When carrots are tender, add peas and corn and simmer for about 5 more minutes. Whisk together the flour and milk. Add to boiling mixture and return to a boil, stirring constantly; boil for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Add chicken and stir. At this point I like to taste the filling to see if it has enough salt!
4. Using flour as needed, roll 2/3 of your pastry dough into a 12-inch square. Transfer to an 8-inch square baking dish. Pour filling into crust.
5. Roll remaining dough into a 9-inch square. Cut vents for steam to escape, and place top crust over pie. Trim edges. Wet crust edges using fingertips dipped in water, and then crimp to seal.
6. Bake at 425 degrees for 30-35 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is hot and bubbly.
This is a delicious homemade chicken potpie recipe! The cream cheese and celery seed in the pastry add a unique flavor, which we love! I have also doubled this recipe and used a 9 x 13 dish, when making this for more people. It worked just as well that way! We love this meal. My rating: 10/10